At Percy Baxter School students in Grades 6-8 receive the opportunity to participate on a variety of in-house and extracurricular sports teams.
An in-house intramural program provides Grade 6 students with an opportunity to experience sports such as Flag Football, Volleyball, Basketball, Badminton and Track and Field. Students in Grade 7 and 8 participate on regular school teams such as Cross-Country Running, Flag Football, Volleyball, Basketball, Wrestling, Handball, Badminton, Track and Field, and Soccer.
While some of the sports programs at the school are played at the GCAA level (Flag Football, Cross-Country Running, Badminton, Track And Field), many of the sports programs at Percy Baxter School are in-house/developmental in nature. These developmental programs allow students to develop:
- Cooperation and Teamwork Skills
- Leadership Skills
- Appreciation of different abilities
- Respect for team mates/opponents/officials
- A sense of belonging/team membership
- Physical Skills
- Self-esteem and Self-Concept
- Team goal-setting skills
- Self-discipline, patience and persistence
- Resilience through sharing positive and negative experiences
- A better understanding of the games being played
These developmental teams also provide an opportunity for more students to participate in school teams and it is our hope more students will choose to do so!